Open Access Agreement with The National Academy of Sciences
Information for Max Planck Authors
The Max Planck Society has established a new open access agreement with the National Academy of Sciences, which allows authors to publish open access in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) under a Creative Commons Attribution license (CC-BY) without direct costs. The agreement covers the open access publication charges for Max Planck affiliated corresponding authors centrally, meaning that authors or institutes will not be invoiced. This open access agreement is part of the Max Planck Society’s strategy to enable a large-scale transition of today’s scholarly journals to open access.
To publish open access without having to pay Article Publication Charges (APCs), the following criteria must be met:
- A Max Planck author must be the corresponding author of the article.
- The author is affiliated with a Max Planck Institute and publishes under this affiliation - the Max Planck Institute must be stated in the article.
- The article is accepted between May 1, 2023 and Apr 30, 2026.
- The article matches one of these types: Research Reports, Brief Reports
- The articles is published under a CC-BY license
- Charges for additional options (color-in-print, posters etc.) are NOT covered by this agreement
When submitting, a Max Planck email address should be used (if possible) and the Max Planck affiliation should be stated. During the production process, PNAS and Max Planck Digital Library will verify author eligibility.