Open Access Agreement between Projekt DEAL and Springer Nature
Information for Max Planck authors
The Max Planck Society participates in the agreement between Projekt DEAL and Springer Nature and centrally covers the Open Access fees for affiliated corresponding authors in ca. 2.500 Springer Nature hybrid and fully Open Access journals (incl. Scientific Reports and Nature Communications). Nature journals, magazines (e.g. Scientific American, Spektrum der Wissenschaft) and technical journals (e.g. ATZ, MTZ) are not included in the DEAL agreement.
In order to make use of the agreement, please make sure to meet the following conditions when publishing with Springer Nature:
- The article has been accepted for publication by a Springer Nature hybrid or fully open access journal.
- The online publication date of the article is on or after 1 January, 2020 in the case of hybrid journals and on or after 1 August 2020 in the case of fully open access journals.
- To be eligible, the author must be the corresponding author of the article. Please note that in order to be eligible it is not sufficient to be corresponding author in name only.
- The author must be affiliated with a Max Planck Institute and must publish under this affiliation – the Max Planck Institute must be stated in the published article.
The article matches one of these types:
- In the case of hybrid journals: OriginalPaper, ReviewPaper, BriefCommunication, EditorialNotes, BookReviews, Letters, Reports. Please note that in certain medical specialist journals (so-called "Facharztzeitschriften", see column J in the journal title list) only unsolicited (not requested) research articles (OriginalPaper, ReviewPaper, BriefCommunication) are eligible.- In the case of fully open access journals: OriginalPaper, ReviewPaper, BriefCommunication.
- Charges for additional options (color-in-print, posters etc.) are NOT covered by this agreement.
You can find further information for authors on Springer Nature’s information page on the DEAL agreement here:
and on the DEAL FAQ for authors: