Open Access Agreement with Oxford University Press
Information for Max Planck Authors
The Max Planck Society’s Read & Publish Agreement with Oxford University Press (OUP) includes access to OUP’s full journal collection as well as allowing authors to publish open access. The Open Access agreement with the Max Planck Society centrally covers the open access charges for affiliated corresponding authors in OUP's hybrid subscription journals under a Creative Commons Attribution license (CC-BY). Journals flipping to fully open access in 2024 (during contract term) will be eligible for central funding as well, such as MNRAS and MNRAS Letters. Please note that all other fully OA journals are not covered by this agreement. You can find a list of all eligible OUP journals on the MPG OA Journal Finder.
In order to make use of the agreement, please make sure to meet the following conditions when publishing with OUP:
- The article has been accepted by an OUP journal that offers a CC-BY license. Please observe that the agreement requires authors to select the CC-BY license, not CC-BY-NC or CC-BY-NC-ND.
- A Max Planck author must be the corresponding author of the article.
- The author is affiliated with a Max Planck Institute and publishes under this affiliation – the Max Planck Institute must be stated in the article
- The acceptance date of the article is between Jan. 1, 2023 and Dec. 31, 2025.
- The article matches one of these types: Primary research article or review article (please be aware that this does not include Book Reviews).
- Charges for additional options (page charges, color-in-print, posters etc.) are NOT covered by this agreement.
When submitting, a Max Planck email address should be used if possible. Once your article is accepted, OUP will send a link to its online licensing and payment system, Author Services. There, authors will be asked to state their affiliation in the auto-select pick list. During the production process, OUP and Max Planck Digital Library will verify author eligibility.